1. Sparkling Water - I always feel so elegant sipping on a glass of this. It makes me feel fancy without drinking wine. This is my weekday 'wine,' and by extension, the kids are not allowed to touch it. I think in their little minds, sparkling water is akin to alcohol and I've even heard it referred to as 'Mommy Pop.'
2. Aged Cheddar - Does this really require further elaboration? It's sharp, aged cheddar. I need it.
3. Whipping Cream - I allow myself one dollop of this each day in one of my cups of coffee. My bum cries out from the overindulgence of it, but I don't care. My bum and I have been together for 37 years now and I say it's time for the bum to get over it.
4. Olives - Ahhh. I love olives. All sorts of olives. I've never been able to relate to the olive-haters among you. My favorites would have to be the garlic stuffed sort and the almond stuffed sort. They're fancy and pungent and sort of other-worldly all at the same time.
5. a Gargantuan Container of Diced Garlic - I've always suffered from a mild inferiority complex induced by my use of two items that I can't stop myself from using (and liberally) time and time and time again. These trailer trash foods of mine are store-bought pre-diced garlic and canned mushrooms (which seem to me to be the stuff of Heaven Itself. I could easily sit in my darkened closet and secretly eat cans upon cans of these, plain, without adornment . I'm not saying I do, though. Just that I probably could. I'm practically a Hobbit in my passion for mushrooms of all sorts, most especially the ersatz canned variety.). But back to garlic: many of my lovely, well-intentioned friends have tried to convince me to go the more 'foodie' way of crushing one's own, fresh garlic, but the hassle of it puts me off every time I reconsider the idea. I know, I know. Fresh garlic is in a whole other category of garlic. I've heard.
If I were to be so bold as to extend the list somewhat (other than my passionate diatribe regarding mushrooms), I'd undoubtedly have to tack on these precious foodstuffs:
7. canned diced tomatoes
8. feta cheese
9. hot pickled vegetables
What's in your fridge? Tell me! I must know! (Plus, I want to know who's reading this. Evidently, yesterday, 52 of you did, which I find delightful and shocking and so encouraging. Delurk! Delurk you chickens!)